Terms of reference
Strengthening women’s political participation at the local and national levels in Lebanon 2016-2018
National Commission for Lebanese Women (NCLW) Supported by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Brief about NCLW
The National Commission for Lebanese Women (NCLW) is an official body, which was established in 1998 by law 720, and is directly affiliated to the presidency of the Council of ministers.
As a National Women Machinery, NCLW works on enhancing the status of women and ensuring equal opportunities between men and women. NCLW acts as the consultative body of the government and of national councils and institutions on all issues related to the status of women including gender-based issues.
Brief about the GIZ LEAD Programme
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) implements the programme “Strengthening Women in Decision-Making in the Middle East” (LEAD) in Jordan, the Palestinian Territories and Lebanon. In collaboration with local partners, the programme aims at strengthening women’s political participation in decision-making in selected communities through: individual trainings and community project funds; promoting a gender-sensitive environment in local governance and public administration; strengthening gender platforms and networks.
- General information
||Strengthening women’s political participation at the local and national levels in Lebanon
||NCLW’s offices in Baabda and on the field whenever needed during work days and week ends
||NCLW- GIZ steering committee
|Duration of the job
||From February 1st 2017 till 30 April 2018
The National Commission for Lebanese women (NCLW) supported by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) launched a project titled: “Strengthening women’s political participation at the local and national levels in Lebanon”. The primary aim of the project is to strengthen an effective political participation of women at the local and national level and gender mainstreaming in the public administrations.
The planned activities aim to encourage women to engage stronger in politics, as active citizens, and develop their capacities when reaching high decision-making positions on the local and national levels. Through this activity NCLW will be coordinating a coalition of civil society organizations in order to advocate for the enhancement of women’s participation in decision making positions. The political participation component includes also the production of studies and researches concerning both women’s and men’s involvement in the municipal councils.
The second component of the project aims at conducting participatory gender assessment in various local institutions and ministries. Trainings will be conducted at the Ministry of Education targeting the gender unit that was created in 2013 with the mission of mainstreaming gender at the ministry.
The third component of the project aims at building knowledge and creating awareness on the 1325 UN SC resolution as well as supporting the national action plan (which is being currently developed by NCLW) through activities to be implemented in the different regions.
The project officer is responsible for providing support for the implementation of the project’s activities and ensuring quality and timely implementation of the project. She/ he will work under the direction of the project manager.
The project officer will specifically carry out the following tasks:
- Follow up on the implementation of the planned activities ;
- Ensure quality and timely reporting on the project’s planned activities and outputs including the production of narrative and financial reports in coordination with the project manager and NCLW team;
- Ensure appropriate filing system for all reports and supporting documents;
- Plan and organize regular meetings and events such as conferences, seminars, focus groups, awareness raising sessions;
- Participate in the different capacity development and awareness activities as planned in the project ;
Monitoring and evaluation
- Undertake regular field visits to ensure proper and efficient implementation of the project activities;
- Prepare and participate in the meetings of the project steering committee, including the preparation of relevant documents and minutes of meetings ;
- Assist in reviewing implementing partners’ reports and suggest modifications to planned activities accordingly ;
- Gather and deliver to the project steering committee information about the implementation status of measures, at the planned terms and upon request.
Coordination and communication
- Initiate and maintain regular contacts with NCLW’s partners and the project’s stakeholders
- Assist in the preparation of various documents such as minutes of meetings, materials to be published etc.
- Provide all needed information to help documenting, publishing and disseminating the lessons learned and best practices of the project including populating websites and social media platforms
- Ensure continuous flow of information to the project manager and NCLW ;
- Ensure continuous coordination with the project steering committee, staff and experts/ consultants
- Assist in liaising with local and national CSOs and public administrations for the implementation of the project ;
- Contribute to the documentation of the projects findings ;
- Ensure the use of the NCLW and GIZ communication and publication guidelines for all relevant content and materials.
- Assist in reviewing all relevant studies and publications ;
- Assist in providing needed information and input of different implemented activities to NCLW and GIZ team to be used in their different means of communication ;
- Provide the needed technical support to the project staff, consultants and experts;
- Undertake other tasks as deemed necessary and in consultation with the project manager ;
- University degree in social sciences, administrative studies or related field with knowledge in human rights, gender issues and development (especially local governance issues).
- Minimum 2 years of experience in development activities
- Committed to human rights and gender equality
- Strong analytical and communication skills, team player willing to work with a team
- Fluency in both Arabic and English (French and/or German are a plus)
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent computer skills in various applications including word processing, database, power point and internet
- Strong command of social media tools
- Ability to undertake regular visits to field.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply by providing an updated CV detailing work experience that is relevant to the vacancy requirements as indicated in the TORs
Please indicate the following title under subject when submitting applications: Project officer: Strengthening women’s political participation at the local and national levels in Lebanon
NCLW will only be responsible to respond to those applicants submitting the required documents above and in which there is further interest;
The CV should be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com; no later than January 30, 2017 noon.
NO PHONE CALLS
Attached the PDF link for the job-vacancy-project-officer_nclw and GIZ
Good Luck to all!