MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION CONSULTANT
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The current UNFPA supported Country Programme in Lebanon encompasses the programme interventions addressing both the humanitarian and development axis in an integrated manner. It reflects the programmatic shifts required to adequately and efficiently respond to the immediate priorities associated with the Syrian crisis as well as medium to long term investments. This approach adopted by UNFPA allows to address the needs of the most vulnerable groups inclusive of all affected communities on the one hand as well as contribute to structural and system reforms within programme areas under UNFPA’s mandate on the other. Advocacy and communication of sexual and reproductive health and rights in general – and women and youth in particular – is an integral part of the UNFPA global and country related strategy.
A media and communication consultant will support the implementation and monitoring of the UNFPA country specific communication strategy and related activities.
He/she will also be accountable co-ordinating and networking tasks associated to the communication strategy and associated products and activities to support the advocacy efforts of UNFPA Lebanon country office in line with the country programme priorities. If need be, the consultant will revise elements of the communication strategy to ensure it is commensurate with new developments/priorities. The position aims at promoting awareness, understanding, support and respect for the end beneficiaries supported by UNFPA.
1. Communication strategy: The Country Office has a communication strategy and associated work plan/activities – with measurable indicators – implemented for various purposes i.e. monitoring programme interventions, promoting visibility, mobilizing resources, etc.
2. Media relations: The Country Office has a well maintained and continuously updated contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web, photo etc. – and a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to communicate the story of UNFPA’s cooperation.
3. Networking and partnerships: The Country Office has a well maintained and continually developed database of existing/potential individuals, groups and organizations whose support is essential to assist in achieving the advocacy and communication objectives. Effective working relationships with the UN Country Team and UN communication group and related counterparts are developed, maintained and enhanced.
4. Global priorities and campaigns: The country office has an effective process in place for integrating and taking action on UNFPA’s global and regional communications priorities, campaigns and partnerships, disseminating these elements in a locally-appropriate way.
5. Resource mobilization support: Global and country level fund-raising activities are supported by effective advocacy and communication strategy and activities. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES, DUTIES & TASKS Within the delegated authority and the given organizational set-up, the incumbent will be assigned to the following major duties/tasks towards the above mentioned end results.
Ensure a clear communication strategy and associated work plan/activities/measurable indicators of performance to support the country programme strategic objectives/results at the level of beneficiaries and stakeholders, as well as strengthen political will in support of UNFPA’s mission and mandate as well as the ICPD agenda, and enhance the organization’s credibility, image and brand. Duties & Tasks
- Reinforce support for UNFPA’s work on behalf of the direct beneficiaries – namely women and youth among Syrian refugees and hosting communities – by providing information to key national, regional and international audiences
- Position UNFPA as a main and lead actor on reproductive health and women empowerment/ gender based violence
- Maintain close follow up for revising, updating and maintaining UNFPA Lebanon website including production/uploading of various materials i.e. video feature stories and photos for wide distribution nationally, regionally and internationally
- Activate the social media tools i.e. youtube, twitter, facebook, etc with continuous feeding of relevant information/news and promote use among a wide range of audiences
- Follow up on production of various newsletters namely Tanseeq (to end Violence against Women)
- Follow up and monitor the elaboration of communication messages by the supported projects, and contribute to the development of communication messages and materials by the Country Office
- Produce weekly digest by scanning local news and resources on population matters – including ones involving UNFPA and UN system as such – through compiling summary of key issues and forwarding them to supported projects, regional office, country offices, and IERD on one hand, and analyzing them on the other
- Collect, compile and consolidate knowledge base material (i.e. relevant information, news, material, data, statistics, resources, stories, good practices, etc) to be used for various purposes i.e. newsletters, website, leaflets, reports, websites, speeches, social media, donors, etc
- Identify and engage reporters, photographers, and consultants for provision of needed services related to media and communication; and prepare/contribute to relevant Terms of Reference
- Follow up with software developers in relation to various communication tools and platforms (i.e. website, online surveys, softwares, applications, etc)
- Follow up with translators/graphic designers for translating as well as designing and printing of various tools and resources including proof reading and editing
- Contribute to translation of material and documents mainly speeches, press releases, informative leaflets, etc
Media relations Ensure that the Country Office has a well maintained and continuously updated contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc. – and a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to communicate the story of UNFPA
Duties & Tasks
- Maintain an updated/expanded mailing list/network of local and regional media sources, ensure mobilization/engagement of media and celebrities for supporting various initiatives
- Direct media relations – pitching, sending media materials, organizing and facilitating media field visits, facts/figures, human interest story opportunities, b-roll, and photos as needed
- Maintain high media visibility for UNFPA’s work in addressing population issues in general and reaching the affected populations in particular.
- Prepare for and organize dissemination events/meetings including press conferences
- Identify, develop and distribute variety of materials in multiple, appropriate formats for media personnel
- Ensure or enhance the quality, appropriateness of country specific communication materials, activities and messages transmitted to the press, partners and public
- Brief UNFPA Head of Office/ programme staff on major issues/priorities to address during media interviews.
- Collaborate with mass media through activities such as organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
Networking and partnerships
The Country Office has a well maintained and continually developed database of existing/potential individuals, groups and organizations whose support is essential to assist in achieving the advocacy and communication objectives. Effective working relationships with the UN Country Team and UN communication group and related counterparts are developed, maintained and enhanced.
Duties & Tasks
- Maintain close collaboration with the communication officers at the UNFPA Arab States Regional Office as well as the UNFPA Regional Syria hub with the aim of coordinating related communication material to be disseminated /used at country level.
- Maintain collaboration with the communication officer at UNFPA HQs with the aim to ensure first hand access to various communication material as well as revision of branding tools.
- Conduct and analyze opinion surveys and polls among media network and partners to better understand their views, perceptions and understanding about UNFPA’s mandate/issues as well as communication approaches and tools
- Contribute to the creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the Country Office and drafting relevant materials for dissemination
- Work closely with programme staff and implementing partners to identify projects and programmes deserving visibility
Resource mobilization support
Ensure that global and regional and sub-regional level fund-raising activities are supported by effective advocacy and communication strategy and material Duties & Tasks
- Establish and maintain a network of donor with related public information contacts and provide assistance in organizing and conducting donor meetings and public information events
- Document/identify/highlight effective programme activities and results in support of fund-raising
- Compile and synthesize relevant background material for use in discussions and public events in support of the advocacy and resource mobilization strategy of the Country Office
- Ensure key donors/government counterparts are regularly aware of UNFPA interventions.
QUALIFICATION and COMPETENCIES 1. Education Advanced university degree in Communication, Social Sciences. (Or an undergraduate degree plus at least 8 years of demonstrated professional experience in the field of journalism, communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations or corporate communications.)
2. Work Experience Eight years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media in UNFPA or a UN agency. International and national work experience in a development agency. Field work experience and exposure to emergency/humanitarian programmes is an asset
3. Language Proficiency Fluency in English and Arabic (spoken and written). A conversational or knowledge of French is an important asset.
4. Specific technical knowledge
- Communication management. Knowledge of theories and practices in communication research planning and strategy.
- Fundamentals for working in various media formats – print, audio, video, web etc.
- Computer systems/applications and network, including internet navigation, office applications, and specifically, interactive digital media.
- Knowledge of United Nations or other international organizations;
- Global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
- Required Competencies Core Competencies:
• Integrity/Commitment to mandate: Acts in accordance with UN/UNFPA values and holds himself/herself accountable for actions taken. Demonstrates personal commitment to UNFPA’s mandate and to the organizational vision.
- Knowledge sharing/continuous learning: Takes responsibility for personal learning and career development and actively seeks opportunities to learn through formal and informal means. Learns from others inside and outside the organization adopting best practices created by others. Actively produces and disseminates new knowledge.
- Valuing diversity: Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciates differences in values and learns from cultural diversity. Takes actions appropriate to the religious and cultural context and shows respect, tact and consideration for cultural differences. Observes and inquires to understand the perspectives of others and continually examines his/her own biases and behaviors.
- Working in teams: Works collaboratively with colleagues inside and outside of UNFPA to allow the achievement of common goals and shared objectives. Actively seeks resolution of disagreements and supports decisions of the team.
- Analytical and strategic thinking: Uses appropriate analytical tools and logic to gather, define and analyze information, situations and problems and draws logical conclusions from data. Demonstrates an ability to set clear and appropriate priorities focusing on tasks and activities which have a strategic impact on results. Anticipates and meets information needs of the team and other stakeholders.
• Communicating information and ideas: Delivers oral and written information in a timely, effective and easily understood manner. Participates in meetings and group discussions actively listening and sharing information. Frankly expresses ideas with the intent to resolve issues, considers what others have to say and responds appropriately to criticism
• Conflict and self management: Manages personal reactions by remaining calm, composed and patient even when under stress or during a crisis and avoids engaging in unproductive conflict. Expresses disagreement in constructive ways that focus on the issue not the person. Tolerates conditions of uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to work productively.
• Results orientation/Commitment to excellence: Strives to achieve high personal standard of excellence. Takes action that goes beyond responding to the obvious needs of the situation and persists until successful outcomes are achieved.
Functional Competencies: Primary competencies
- Results-based programme development and management: Contributes to the achievement of results through primary research and analysis and effective monitoring of programme/project implementation. Uses analytical skills to identify opportunities for project development and participates in the formulation of proposals ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches.
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches: Enhances existing processes and products. Documents and analyzes innovative strategies, best practices and new approaches. Adapts quickly to change.
Additional Competencies • Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/Building strategic alliances and partners: Establishes, maintains and utilizes a broad network of contacts to keep abreast of developments and to share information. Analyzes and selected materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
• Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda: Prepares and communicates relevant information for evidence-based advocacy. Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society to support advocacy efforts and takes opportunities for advocating for UNFPA’s mandate. Interested candidates may apply online by providing: (1) a P-11 Form (click to download), and (2) a most updated CV, and (3) a cover letter mentioning the relevance of past/current experience with the requirements of the consultancy.
The above documents must be sent to the following email address: email@example.com by no later than September 8, 2015
Candidates who fail to submit the required documents above will not be considered for review