TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR NON-KEYEXPERTSASSIGNMENT
Project: “GENDER EQUITY AND EMPOWERMENT OF WOMEN IN LEBANON”
Location: Beirut, Lebanon (NCLW offices in Hazmeih)
Expert: To Be Selected
Position: Senior Non KeyExpert – Gender indicators
Period: May –June 2016
Mandatory/days: 25 working days
TEAM AND REPORTING LINES
Project Director: Mario Costariol email@example.com
Team Leader: Maggy Grabundzija firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Manager: Diana Casallas email@example.com
EU Task Manager: RoulaAbbas
The expert will report to: Maggy Grabundzija
The EU funded project on Gender Equity and Empowerment of Women in Lebanon aims to improve mainstreaming of the gender dimension at policy and sector levels in Lebanon by strengthening the National Commission of Lebanese Women’s internal governance towards effective fulfilment of its mandate, to create effective coordination and networking mechanisms with State and non-State actors and to improve media outreach and advocacy.
The mission aims at improving the set of gender indicators aimed at better monitoring and measuring trends related to gender equality in Lebanon. The project will facilitate the collaboration of NCLW with ESCWA and the Statistical Bureau in developing a national framework for developing national gender statistics related to MDGs and UN minimum set of gender indicators. The framework is a matrix of detailed gender disaggregated data that are available but some of it are not counted and not made available. The expert should make sure that this framework gives accurate, up-to-date picture about gender gaps in specific domains such as poverty, economy, education and literacy, health, decision-making and political participation, and violence against women.
The national framework includes collectedand published quantitative and qualitative gender disaggregated data, their sources, dates, availability, and their updatingthat are used as gender sensitive indicators to show the macro picture of the situation of women compared to men in agreed upon domains by all countries. The national framework will be used by NCLW in providing all clients (ministries, NGOs, universities) with these gender disaggregated indicators to assist them in their work and research.
CONTENTS OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Project Work Plan – Component II: Create effective coordination and networking mechanisms with state and non-state actors
Activity 2.1: Strengthening the capacity of the NCLW’s to coordinate national data collection for monitoring government policies and commitments to gender equity
The project will help NCLW in facilitating the compilation of a framework on minimum set of gender indicators that will help in monitoring the progress in gender equality and the collection of gender-disaggregated data and its updating. The choice of these internationally recognized indicators should address key policy concerns as identified in the Beijing Platform for Action and other important international commitments such as the Millennium Development Goals. The indicators will facilitate measuring trends and also comparisons among the different countries. The framework will cover gender disaggregated statistics on poverty, economy, education and literacy, health, decision-making and political participation and violence against women.
SCOPE OF THE WORK
The appointed expert will be required to undertake the following tasks:
- A detailed work plan of the STE discussed and approved by team leader and NCLW
- Map gender indicators and segregated data in Lebanon in the domains of women’s economic activities and access to resources, education, health, public life and decision-making, human rights of women including violence against women and gender based violence and identify gaps in gender indicators and data collections in (Activity 2.1):
- Undertaking a desk research on availability of sex-disaggregated data (surveys, census, administrative records, etc.)
- Conducting interviews with main stakeholders working in data collections and gender indicators such as the Central Administration for Statistics (CAS), the different ministries, in addition to the UNESCWA and other UN agencies
- Complete the national framework of gender statistics and indicators including the UN minimum set of gender indicators. Activity 2.1
- Suggest system of unification of gender indicators for updating the UN Gender Index indicators in Lebanon including determining the gender indicators in need of improvement in terms of data collection/classification, the frequency of data update for each indicator and sub-indicators. Each indicator will depend on different sources and therefore the updating of all indicators has to be synchronized. The plan will suggest when the majority of indicators will be updated and identify a coordination mechanism on sharing gender data and indicators with the main stakeholders Activity 2.1
- Prepare and deliver a training workshop for NCLW and GFP and NGOs(2 days) on gender sensitive indicators and their regular updating–
The Expert will apply the following methodology:
- Collection from secondary sources and analysis of national data and statistics – gap identification.
- Organise at least 3 meetings with ESCWA statistical department and other UN agencies, the Central Administration for Statistics (CAS) of Lebanon
- Prepare a schedule of meetings with relevant ministries, universities and NGOs working on gender related statistics
- Prepare curriculum for training on gender sensitive indicators
- Provide one training workshop to NCLW and GFPs and NGOs (20 trainees) on gender sensitive indicators and their updating
- Detailed work plan for the Mission to be approved by Team Leader and NCLW.
- An analytical report on available and missing sex disaggregated data in Lebanon with regard to poverty, economy, education, health, decision-making and political participation and violence against women, that will be used in the National statistical framework
- Compile gender sensitive statistics on indicators in the national statistical framework which is a large matrix that includes collected gender disaggregated data, their sources, dates, availability, and their updating that are used to show the macro picture of the situation of women compared to men in Lebanon in economic, political, education, health and human rights (violence) domains.
- A report on updating the UN minimum set of gender indicators.
- 2/day training workshop for NCLW staff, NGOs and gender focal points (20 trainees) on gender sensitive indicators
- Suggest a mechanism of coordination for gender indicators and data
- Mission report and presentation to NCLW.
The assignment is expected to take place in the period between May – June 2016 (25 working days) as per the below timeline:
- Analytical Report on available national sex disaggregated data (10 working days) 10 days: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.
- National gender disaggregated statistical framework and updated UN minimum set of gender indicators with an updating plan(11 days) 11days: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,18, 19, 20, 21
- Preparation of curriculum and delivery of training on gender sensitive indicators and their updating (3 days)
- Mission report and presentation to NCLW (1 day) 3 days: 22, 23, 24
1 day: 25
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLSREQUESTED FOR THE POSITION
- Minimum Master’s degree in statistics, economics or related field
- Strong statistical and IT skills
- Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic(spoken and written)
- Knowledge of French is an asset
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in the field of statistics and indicators
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in statistical packages software
- At least3 years of experience in the field of gender statistics or indicators
- Minimum of ten years work experience in the field of statistics and indicators
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in the field of sex disaggregated statistics and gender indicators.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Previous work experience with the Lebanese Statistical Bureau.
- Three years’ experience in delivering training related to gender sensitive statistics or indicators
- A minimum of five years work experience in developing surveys and questionnaires designs
- Work experience of two years in Lebanon in a gender and development related field is an asset
To apply kindly send an email to Project Manager: Diana Casallas firstname.lastname@example.org
Good luck Rita Chemaly