Consultant for developing a training manual on four reproductive health thematic areas
TERMS OF REFERENCE
I. GENERAL INFORMATION
Job Title: Consultant for developing a training manual on four reproductive health thematic areas
Duty Station: Beirut, Lebanon
Duration of Employment: 3 months (October 2015- December 2015)
II. BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE
Since 2006, the National Commission for Lebanese Women (NCLW) has been collaborating with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) towards mainstreaming gender aspects in various development platforms, policies, and strategies.
NCLW and UNFPA have sustained their collaboration in 2015 to implement all activities agreed upon for 2015 namely (a) strengthen the institutionalization and operationalization of the National Action Plan related to the national women strategy in Lebanon 2011-2021, (b) support advocacy efforts for promoting legislation towards gender mainstreaming and equality including CEDAW, and c) Enhance institutional capacities on gender mainstreaming.
Within the context of the joint 2015 annual work plan between NCLW and UNFPA, an activity will be implemented aiming at developing a reference training manual on reproductive health (RH).
The objective of this task will aim specifically at:
Developing facilitator’s training modules for each of the 4 thematic areas developed in friendly user booklets and related to “prevention of breast cancer, prevention from HIV, family planning and prevention during pregnancy, and violence against women prevention and response” chosen by NCLW and UNFPA during the 2006 project entitled “Women Empowerment: Peaceful Action for Security and Stability (WE PASS)”.
The brief and simply adapted training modules that will be developed can be used by facilitators (who could consist of, nurses, midwifes, dispensary staff etc.) during awareness raising sessions within various settings mainly in NCLW developed training centers in the regions.
The outcome is expected to contribute to preparing the grounds for engaging in appropriate discussions and interactions among different participants on reproductive health issues. It is expected that increased knowledge and discussion among stakeholders on these issues would contribute to more positive attitudes as well as engaging in safe, responsible and harmless practices.
The rationale for the production of 4 training modules and pre-testing them in two regions Akkar/Quayteh and Chiyah, is to make efficient and optimal the use of the 4 booklets developed by NCLW with the support of UNFPA during the WE PASS project.
The training manual will be used by the trained trainers (nurses, midwifes, dispensary staff etc. ) as a tool to facilitate awareness-raising sessions with different stakeholders and in different settings (i.e. camps, dispensaries, health centers etc.).
The consultancy will be undertaken in close collaboration with UNFPA and under the overall guidance of the NCLW Secretary General, and in consultation with NCLW National Director and project manager.
The consultant will be undertaking his/her tasks as per the description below:
(a) undertaking desk review and literature search of pertinent training module resources as well as similar material, (b) reviewing the 4 booklets and the adaptation of the guide/handbook already produced on RH (c) carrying out consultation and meetings with UNFPA and NCLW to develop the training modules, (d) developing a structured framework for the modules, f) delivering 2 TOT in 2 regions of Lebanon to pilot test the modules and (e) finalizing the training modules based on testing and feedback by UNFPA and NCLW .
III. METHODOLOGY AND DELIVERABLES
- Prepare and submit a methodological plan for the consultancy with key milestones and timeline;
- Carry out desk and literature review and investigate/review similar resources developed/used in the country and/or the region related to training on RH;
- Consult with UNFPA, NCLW regarding the booklets developed;
- Develop a framework and structure for each of the training modules on basis of literature review and consultation based on the booklets;
- Elaborate the content of each module;
- Prepare and ensure timely delivery of the first draft of the modules for review by NCLW and UNFPA;
- Pre-test the training modules through the undertaking of 2 TOT with 2 groups of medical staff in 2 regions of Lebanon (Akkar and Chiyah ) as deemed necessary for obtaining feedback including views and opinions of potential users;
- Finalize the training modules on basis of comments received from the field ;
- Provide NCLW and UNFPA with an electronic and hard copy of the final modules (Arabic);
- Proof read the final text once the graphic designer has worked on the layout.
The final outcome to be delivered by the consultant at the completion of this task would consist of 1) a training manual on 4 thematic areas of RH (2 Months). as well as 2) the delivery and facilitation of 2 TOTs in 2 regions of Lebanon as per NCLW and UNFPA activity 05/AWP/2015 description. (1 month)
IV. SUPPORT PROVIDED BY UNFPA
UNFPA and NCLW shall assist the consultant on tasks related to the Terms of Reference and as follows:
• Provide access to various reference material as part of the desk and literature review;
• Facilitate access to stakeholders for the pretesting;
• Provide input on the draft training manual plan and developed training modules and exercises.
V. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Advanced University degree in social/development /Human sciences or other related areas with previous work experience and considerable skills in training material development
• Considerable knowledge and expertise in RH including HIV/AIDS and Gender/GBV ;
• Extensive experience in training material development, field work and focus groups;
• Strong analytical writing skills
• Knowledge with UNFPA’s work is an asset
• Strong Arabic writing skills
• Excellent analytical and writing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Working in teams
• Excellent training and facilitation skills
• Conflict and self-management
• Organizational awareness
• Results orientation/Commitment to excellence
Language and requirements
• Fluency and excellent writing skills in Arabic and English
• IT knowledgeable (i.e. Microsoft office programs, Internet browsing, etc…).
- Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply on line by providing an updated CV detailing work experience that is relevant to the vacancy requirements as indicated in the TORs, as well as a cover letter and the budget required
- Please indicate the following title under subject when submitting applications: Consultant for developing a training manual on four reproductive health thematic areas ;
- NCLW will only be responsible to respond to those applicants submitting the required documents above and in which there is further interest
- The CV should be submitted to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 24, 2015.