For those interested here is the detailed TOR published on NCLW and UNFPA WEBSITES FOR A COMPENDIUM ON CEDAW IN LEBANON
pdf version: TORs Consultant for CEDAW review material FINAL
Consultant for the compilation and assessment of Material /Resources/ Tools developed on CEDAW in Lebanon
- GENERAL INFORMATION
Job Title: Consultant for the compilation and assessment of Material /Resources/ Tools developed on CEDAW in Lebanon
Duty Station: Beirut, Lebanon
Duration of Employment: 3 months (July 1 to September 30, 2015)
- BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE
Since 2006, the National Commission for Lebanese Women (NCLW) has been collaborating with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) towards mainstreaming gender aspects in various development platforms, policies, and strategies.
NCLW and UNFPA have sustained their collaboration in 2015 to implement all activities agreed upon for 2015 namely (a) Strengthen the institutionalization and operationalization of the National Action Plan related to the national women strategy in Lebanon 2011-2021, (b) support advocacy efforts for promoting legislation towards gender mainstreaming and equality including CEDAW, and c) Enhance institutional capacities on gender mainstreaming.
Within the context of the joint 2015 annual workplan between NCLW and UNFPA, an activity will be implemented aiming at compiling, reviewing, and assessing CEDAW related material / resources/tools developed/adapted since 2000. The objective of this task will aim specifically at assessing the material/resources/tools in terms of objective, content/messages, relevance, effectiveness, accuracy, appropriateness, friendliness, target audience, usefulness, producers, among others. This compilation/assessment will also contribute to identifying gaps either on messages, particular groups, language, etc. The end result would consist of a comprehensive and descriptive reference compendium for providing concerned partners and actors with an overall situation of existing (and non existing) knowledge and resources to promote their efforts on CEDAW in the future.
By doing so, the producers and users of material/resources/tools (i.e. Public Sector, NGOs, UN system, academia, etc) would (1) avoid duplication of producing material /resources/ tools on CEDAW, (2) be provided with an overview of existing CEDAW material/resources /tools by type, objective, messages, target groups, etc, (3) be informed of what gaps exist on CEDAW related knowledge and how to address/fill them, and (4) ensure consistency of key messages in future development and promotion of CEDAW related material/resources/tools.
Within the context of this consultancy, the CEDAW material/resources/tools would include – but not exclusive to – reference manuals, training material, tool kits, policy briefs, information leaflets/ brochures/ pamphlets, TV spots, short documentaries, curricula, etc. The approaches to be assessed include – but not exclusive to – media campaigns, outreach campaigns, capacity development, formal and non formal education, policy dialogue events, etc.
Based on the above and under the overall guidance of the NCLW Secretary General, in coordination with the NCLW National Director and in close collaboration with the project manager, the consultant will be undertaking his/her tasks as per the description below:
III. METHODOLOGY AND DELIVERABLES
- Prepare and submit a methodological plan for the consultancy with key milestones and timeline.
- Carry out desk and literature review as follows:
2.1. Review CEDAW related documents globally
2.2. Review CEDAW related documents nationally namely national CEDAW reports and shadow report relevant training/evaluation reports, etc.
- Produce necessary tools (questionnaire, checklist, focus group guide) for the compilation process of material/ resources/tools in Lebanon
- Collect and compile the material/resources/tools produced and/or adapted in Lebanon through web search, face to face meetings, and focus group discussion(s). The potential stakeholders to be contacted for compilation will include, but not exclusive to, NCLW, NGOs, social workers, Unions, universities, possible government administrations/ministries (Ministry of Education and Higher Education, Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of Interior and Municipalities, etc), UN organizations. During the face to face and focus group discussion(s) with the producers/users of material/resources/tools, they will be asked to provide – among others – feedback on effectiveness/impact of the material/ resources/ tools.
- Review, assess, and analyze the material /resources/tools as follows:
5.1. Produce a comparison matrix by type, language, objective, target group, etc. It is suggested to use the CEDAW sections for developing the matrix
5.2. Review, classify and describe in a systematic manner the material /resources/tools based on the comparison matrix
5.3. Analyze the material /resources/ tools and their content both quantitatively and qualitatively and based on the variables in the matrix. The analysis should assess gaps, needs, effectiveness, among others
5.4. Make practical recommendations based on the analysis to better inform producers and users of material/ resources/ tools on the way forward for increasing and enhancing efficiency and impact for promoting CEDAW principles within their respective interventions and programmes through various means and approaches – including innovative approaches.
- The final outcome to be delivered by the consultant at the completion of this task would consist of a “comprehensive compendium reference manual in Arabic” (both soft and hard copies) and composed of 2 parts as follows:
6.1. A descriptive and analytical part including background, objectives, findings, analysis and recommendations
6.2. A systematic compilation of all resources/material/tools by several variables (to be agreed upon with NCLW and UNFPA)
- In addition to the compendium reference manual in Arabic, the consultant shall provide a brief executive summary in English (7-10 pages).
- SUPPORT PROVIDED BY NCLW
NCLW and UNFPA shall assist the consultant on tasks related to the Terms of Reference and as follows:
- Provide access to various reference material as part of the desk and literature review
- Review the tools for collection purposes and the comparison matrix
- Facilitate access to stakeholders
- Provide input on the draft compendium reference manual
- Education: Bachelor or Master’s Degree ( Social sciences, humanities, etc )
- V. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in qualitative research and evaluation work.
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of Gender at levels of policy, advocacy, community mobilization, etc
- Work experience with governmental and non-governmental entities is essential
- Familiarity with social media platforms is an asset
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Working in teams
- Conflict and self-management
- Organizational awareness
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Results orientation/Commitment to excellence
- Language and requirements
- Fluency and excellent writing skills in Arabic and English
- French is essential
- IT knowledgeable (i.e. Microsoft office programs, Internet browsing, etc).
- Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply on line by providing an updated CV detailing work experience that is relevant to the vacancy requirements as indicated in the TORs
- Please indicate the following title under subject when submitting applications: Consultant for the compilation and assessment of Material /Resources/ Tools developed on CEDAW in Lebanon
- NCLW will only be responsible to respond to those applicants submitting the required documents above and in which there is further interest
- The CV should be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com no later than June 19, 2015.