The Anna Lindh Euro-Med Foundation (ALF) focuses on bringing people together from across the Mediterranean to improve mutual respect between cultures and to support civil society working for a common future for the region. It is co-financed by the 42 countries of the Union for the Mediterranean and the European Commission. In accordance with ALF Statutes, “the Executive Director shall be appointed by the Board of Governors. The Board of Governors will vote for one candidate out of the short list presented by the European Commission”. The process for recruiting the new Executive director is now open (see job description (http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/neighbourhood/regional-cooperation/e…) and applications shall be received before the 28th August 2014. – See more at: http://www.annalindhfoundation.org/job-opportunities#sthash.KXHSeg8H.dpuf
For all those who are interested here is the link to the full Job description and application procedure:
Executive director of the Anna Lindh Foundation
Post based in Alexandria, Egypt
(3 years, up to 6 years)
The European Commission is in charge of the pre-selection of the Executive Director of the Anna
The Anna Lindh Foundation is an inter-governmental institution bringing together civil society and
citizens across the Mediterranean to build trust and improve mutual understanding. It has a legal
personality as an international organisation based in Alexandria (Egypt) and registered with the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Arab Republic of Egypt.
The Foundation was created by the governments of the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership – the farreaching
political agreement established in 1995 between the European Union and its Southern
Mediterranean partners with the purpose to bring people together from across the Mediterranean to
improve mutual respect between cultures and to support civil society working for a common future for
Since 2005, the Anna Lindh Foundation has launched and supported action across fields impacting on
mutual perceptions as well as developing a region-wide Network of over 4000 civil society
organisations. Through its action and reflection the ALF aims to contribute to the development of an
Intercultural Strategy for the Euro-Mediterranean Region, providing recommendations to decisionmakers
and institutions and advocating for shared values. The main scope of the ALF is overcoming
the misunderstandings and stereotypes which affect relations between and within the societies of the
Region, a task which became of utmost importance in the last decade. As a contribution to the
creation of a space of prosperity, coexistence and peace, the ALF works to restore trust in dialogue
and bridge the gaps in mutual perceptions, as well as promoting diversity and coexistence.
The Foundation is co-funded by the European Commission and the 42 countries of the Union for the
Mediterranean and its contracting procedures are in line with the EU procedures stipulated in the
Practical Guide to Contract procedures for EU external actions.
The challenging and high-profile position of Executive Director of the Anna Lindh Foundation
comprises the following main responsibilities:
• Prepare the multi-annual work programme of the Foundation and its budget in consultation
with the President and the national networks;
• Appoint and head the staff of the Foundation;
• Ensure the stability of the structure of the Foundation and its compliance with the Foundation’s
• Maintain linkages with the network of national networks and guarantee good contacts between
the networks themselves;
• Prepare the annual work programme for adoption by the Board of Governors and to ensure its
implementation in consultation with the ALF President.
• Execute the budget;
• Submit periodic and annual activity reports as well as financial accounts to the Board of
Governors for adoption;
• Maintain transparent procedures and correct circulation of information concerning all activities
done or supported by the Foundation;
• Prepare the meetings of the Board of Governors.
According to the ALF Status, the Executive Director shall be the legal representative of the
We look for
Based on the above, the following are the proposed criteria for evaluation of eligible applications for
the purpose of short-listing for interview for the post of ALF Executive Director:
• The candidate should be a national of one of the following UfM Mediterranean Partner
Country: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya,
Mauritania, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia or Turkey.
• Hold a University degree.
• Have at least 15 years of relevant professional experience, and at least 5 years of
professional experience related to intercultural dialogue or civil society in the Euro-Med region.
• Have practical experience in programmes in intercultural areas or engaging with civil society
• Have experience with international cooperation and dialogue and institutions and for a from
the southern Mediterranean.
• Have an extensive knowledge of international standards in general management of
• Have an extensive knowledge of international standards in financial management.
• Have an extensive knowledge of experience in human resources management, including in an
• Have knowledge in the management of donor funded programme(s).
• Previous experience with project management, in particular with EU funds, in countries of the
southern Mediterranean region will be a strong asset.
• Knowledge of EU policies in the region and more specifically on youth, gender and towards
• The candidate must be computer literate.
• Excellent communication skills are essential.
• The candidate shall be fluent in English and French and in one of the Mediterranean Partner
Selection and appointment
In accordance with the ALF statute, the Executive Director shall be appointed by the Board of
Governors for a term of office of three years which may be extended once for a total of maximum six
years. The Board of Governors will vote for one candidate out of the short list presented by the
European Commission. As part of this selection procedure, candidates may be called for an interview
with the selection committee members, in September 2014.
The successful candidate will be recruited by the Anna Lindh Foundation at a net salary ranking 144
000 € and 159 000 €/ year (depending on experience). He/ she must successfully complete a ninemonth
The selected candidate will have to abide by the national fiscal regulation applicable to him/her.
The European Commission applies a policy of equal opportunities and non-discrimination.
Before submitting your application, you should carefully check whether you meet all the eligibility
criteria, particularly those concerning the level of education, the type of diploma obtained and
professional experience required.
If you want to apply, you must send a CV in Word or PDF format and a letter of motivation (maximum
8 000 characters) to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once the deadline for registration has passed, you will no longer be able to apply. Late registrations
will not be accepted.
Both the CV and letter must be written in English or French.
On completion of your application, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt. If you do not
receive the acknowledgement of receipt, your application has not been registered.
Please note that it is not possible to monitor the progress of your application online. You will be
contacted directly regarding the status of your application.
If you have a disability that prevents you from registering online, you may submit your application (CV
and letter of motivation) on paper by registered mail, postmarked no later than the closing date for
registration. All subsequent communication will be by post. In this case, you must enclose with your
CV and motivation letter, a certificate attesting your disability, issued by a recognised body. You
should also set out on a separate sheet of paper any special arrangements you think are needed to
make it easier for you to take part in the selection procedure.
If you require more information and/or encounter technical problems, please send an e-mail to HRexecutivedirector.
The closing date for application is 28th August 2014 at 6 pm Brussels time.