Terms of Reference for a communication consultant for the PROWD project
(June – October 2014)
Promoting Rights of Women Domestic Workers Programme (PROWD) aims to improve the situation of women migrant domestic workers (WMDWs) in Lebanon by ensuring favorable working conditions and a regulated environment that protects their rights. Specifically, this project constitutes the extension and consolidation of an initial phase that fits into a long-term intervention planned by the ILO at the regional level. This intervention will meet the priorities of regulation, monitoring of international labour migration and the protection of the rights of domestic workers. Activities vary among research, awareness raising, material production, technical meetings, and training. The pilot phase was led by the Ministry of Labour (MoL) in cooperation with ILO, other UN agencies, government institutions and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). During this preliminary phase, the basis for a larger action plan with specific institutional capacity building components was established. An institutional mapping exercise was carried out and gaps were identified, which informed the design and planning of the project activities.
In order to increase synergy in the production of material of the project, and the visibility of the activities which will have an impact on sensitizing the wider public on rights of WMDWs, a communication consultant is required to assist the project. Within the framework of the PROWD Project funded by EC, the consultant will be office based and work to support the project on specific communication deliverables listed in the Tasks section below.
Specifically, the consultant will be tasked with:
– Develop, coordinate and support the implementation of the communications strategy for the extended period of the project.
– Monitor the dissemination of publications produced by the project, specifically the Workers Information guide, the board game, research reports and other publications.
– Coordinate the participatory newsletter of the Project, develop concept note, mainly to follow up on material and articles collection, coordinate translation and copy edit and design, as well as electronic dissemination.
– Compilation of press releases on issues relevant to Migrant domestic worker and news about the projects for the period of this contract.
– Contribute to the coordination and monitor visibility activities and events of the project mainly:
– Draft TORs for needed communication consultants like graphic designers and others.
– Draft Media advisory and Press release relevant to project events
– Invite and mobilize the media to cover project’s events
– Follow up on design work and printing of the following deliverables:
o SORAL code of conduct
o Migrant Domestic Workers recruitment guide
o Policy Briefs produced by the project
o Project leaflet/info graphic
o Sexual and Reproductive Health guide developed by UNFPA
o Teacher’s guide
– Suggest initiatives to promote the projects’ results with national stakeholders and in national media and within the ILO in collaboration with the communication personnel at ILO/ROA.
– Contribute to the development of concepts and content of various communications products publications and other promotional or information materials.
– Support in editing communication material in Arabic and English;
– Translation of communication material into Arabic/English
– Ensure that all visibility material is in compliance with ILO and EU regulations.
– Coordinate with Communication units at ILO and EU on relevant communication issues, mainly press release and clearance on visibility and use of logos.
– Other related responsibilities as required by the NPC.
The consultant will be office based and work under the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator, and will coordinate interventions with relevant staff members from the project and the communication team at the ILO/ROAs.
Timeline, Deliverables, and remuneration
The consultancy is expected to take place during the months of 27 June to 31 October 2014 for the lump sum of 16,500 USD.
The communication consultant is expected to have the following qualifications:
Advanced university degree in Journalism/Mass Communications or related fields.
At least 3-5 years of experience in working in the communication field with development organizations
Practical experience in communications strategies and projects;
In-depth knowledge and understanding of development issues and relevant work experience.
Ability to analyze, plan, communicate effectively orally and in writing
Knowledge and understanding of EU and ILO guidelines is an advantage
Fluency in Arabic and English, orally and in writing.
Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools.
Excellent interpersonal skills, solid judgment/ decision making, initiative and creativity.
Ability to work under pressure and meeting deadlines
For those interested, contact Those send your references, resume and other relevant information to firstname.lastname@example.org
the TORs in a PDF form are below: