Internship: Gender and Development
The UNRISD mission is to position social inclusion, equity and justice at the centre of development thinking, policies and practice. We emphasize the essential role of social policies, institutions and actors in development processes and outcomes. We generate and share knowledge through research networks across regions and disciplines. We connect this knowledge and critical analysis with international debates and policy processes. We propose alternative solutions to contemporary development problems.
- Eligible candidates must be currently enrolled in a Master’s or PhD degree programme (as per UN Secretariat rules regarding interns) in the social sciences (social policy, development studies, or development economics is desirable).
- Strong academic focus on gender
- Some developing country experience
- Written and spoken fluency in English is essential.
- Proficiency in the MS Office package.
- Finalise and edit research reports on women’s organisations in Asia for publication
- Liaise with an external research coordinator in a new project on Understanding gender egalitarian change: A perspective from Asia, including setting up country research teams, and assisting in organising an initial project workshop
- Assist with the finalisation of a report from a workshop on gender research across the UN system.
- Keep track of / act as a focal point for gender research and activities across the UN system, particularly in relation to the post-2015 process
- Assist in developing new research proposals including undertaking literature reviews (particularly related to gender and agriculture, and gender and social policy).
Time period The internship is for three months, starting either April or May 2013, with a possibility of extension. The exact start date is negotiable.
- In accordance with the rules and regulations of the UN Internship Programme, this internship is not financially remunerated.
- The Institute is not responsible for interns’ travel expenses to and from Geneva, or for their medical insurance for the period of assignment.
Application process If you have the required qualifications and are interested in this position, please apply online by clicking the button below. Please, use the “motivation” section to submit a cover letter specifying your interests and qualifications. Kindly note that, due to limited staff resources, only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
Closing date The deadline for applications is 14 April 2013 (Midnight, Central European Time).