Project Coordinator: NCLW/UNFPA
Project Coordinator: NCLW/UNFPA
- Job Title: Project Coordinator
- Project: LBN3U705
- Duty Station: Beirut, Lebanon
- Reports to: National Director (NCLW)
- Duration of Employment: 9 months (April 15- December 31, 2013) with possibility to extend for to 6 months based on need and availability of funds
FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
Since 2006, the National Commission for Lebanese Women (NCLW) has been collaborating with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) towards mainstreaming gender aspects in various development platforms, policies, and strategies. In 2012, this collaboration led to the development, consensus and launching of the National Strategy for Women in Lebanon. The strategy spells out 11 priority objectives identified as essential ones for ensuring that gender equality dimensions are adequately mainstreamed in the social, cultural, economical, and political spheres. In order to translate this strategic framework into concrete operational actions and results to be achieved by all stakeholders, NCLW developed – in a participatory approach – a plan of action that sets forth key interventions under each of the 11 strategic objectives along with indicators. The plan was validated in early 2013 and is expected to be turned into a soft application and adopted by all stakeholders beginning of 2014.
Based on the above, NCLW in collaboration with UNFPA is seeking assistance of a coordinator in support of the operationalization of the [National Strategy for Women in Lebanon] action plan. Specifically, the incumbent will provide support in collecting baselines for indicators, following up on the development of the programme software/application, and facilitating the piloting of the software among selected users. Additional support will be provided to NCLW in tasks related to the activation of the strategy and action plan. Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the National Director, the coordinator will be undertaking various tasks as described below:
Compilation/collection of data
- Undertake visits to various line ministries, institutions, NGOs, UN agencies, donors, etc for collecting information and data
- Collect, compile, and review relevant national reports, data, statistics that would be used for determining baselines for indicators
- Develop tools and instruments for collecting and validating data from various stakeholders
- Provide needed support for convening expert group meetings to review compiled data and agree on baselines/targets for the different indicators established in the action plan
- Ensure updating of the action plan based on the agreed upon baselines and targets
- Ensure feedback of NCLW and UNFPA are obtained and reflected in final product
- Provide logistical support in organizing events such as meetings, workshops, in relation to the indicators
Development of software/application + manual
- Assist in drafting TORs for the development of software/application
- Follow up on identification/engagement of software developers based on competitive bidding
- Contribute to fleshing out the elements of the software/application based on the elements of the action plan
- Provide overall guidance to the software developer throughout the development process
- Facilitate the convening of meetings with NCLW, UNFPA and experts for reviewing the various stages of the application as well as the content
- Provide continuous update on the development process of the software and ensure that the feedback and input of NCLW and UNFPA are reflected in the various outcomes of the application
- Develop a draft user manual jointly with software developer
- Ensure completion of the provisional software in accordance with the agreed upon TORs and uploading it online for the piloting phase
Piloting the software among users
- Assist in selecting a varied group of users from different disciplines (Ministries, NGOs, academic sector, UN/development agencies, donors, media, etc)
- Introduce the software / application to users with hands on practices
- Follow up on the piloting of the software/application with the selected users group
- Ensure provision of ongoing advice to the users throughout the piloting phase through visits to users sites as well as online
- Compile input and feedback from users on the software for enhancing it at all levels i.e. technical, content, friendly user, etc and share with NCLW and programme developer for finalization
- Contribute to developing, producing and disseminating informative material on the action plan for various uses (i.e. NCLW/UNFPA newsletters, website updates, etc)
- Assist in preparing minutes of meetings, progress reports, briefing and concept notes, PPTs, training material/documents, and documentation of successful experiences
- Provide support in reviewing specific documents, searching the internet for information, compiling data and information, and summarizing reports and documents as requested
- Contribute to sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, and approaches and support in the drafting of relevant materials for dissemination
- Provide other support as required
- Bachelor Degree (Public administration, social sciences, humanities, etc )
- 4 years of increasingly responsible experience in project coordination and monitoring with focus on gender/human rights related work.
- Experience with governmental and non-governmental entities is essential
- Familiarity with UN work is desirable
- Working in teams: Works collaboratively with colleagues to allow the achievement of common goals and shared objectives. Actively seeks resolution of disagreements and supports decisions of the team.
- Communicating information and ideas: Delivers oral and written information in a timely, effective and easily understood manner. Participates in meetings and group discussions actively listening and sharing information. Frankly expresses ideas with the intent to resolve issues, considers what others have to say and responds appropriately to criticism
- Conflict and self management: Manages personal reactions by remaining calm, composed and patient even when under stress or during a crisis and avoids engaging in unproductive conflict. Expresses disagreement in constructive ways that focus on the issue not the person. Tolerates conditions of uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to work productively.
- Organizational awareness: Uses the formal structure or hierarchy in the organization effectively in order to get work done. Provides assistance to colleagues in dealing with other parts of the organization and in applying policies and procedures which affect the work unit. Understands when issues or problems can and should be resolved at own organizational level, when the assistance/input of other organizational units is required and when issues should be raised to a higher level
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches: Generates new ideas and more effective ways of doing things. Adapts quickly to change.
- Job knowledge: Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position. Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks. Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work. Strives to keep job knowledge up-dated through self directed study and other means of learning. Demonstrates basic knowledge of standard computer software applications and information technology including electronic communication and seeks to apply it in work tasks
- Results orientation/Commitment to excellence: Strives to achieve high personal standard of excellence. Takes action that goes beyond responding to the obvious needs of the situation and persists until successful outcomes are achieved
- Fluency and excellent writing skills in Arabic. Good English and /or French is essential
Candidates who meet the above required qualifications and are available to start as of April 15, 2013 may apply on line by an updated and comprehensive CV detailing their work experience that is relevant to the post requirements as indicated in the Terms of Reference.
The CV should be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com by no later than March 29, 2013 latest.
Please indicate the job title “Project Coordinator: NCLW/UNFPA” under subject when submitting application,