2012 MEPI Student Leaders Program – Deadline February 13, 2012
The Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) Student Leaders Program is a fully-funded, six-week intensive leadership training program in the United States for undergraduate students between the ages of 18-24.
Participants will attend one of six U.S. colleges and universities and will develop leadership and collective problem-solving skills while exploring U.S. history and culture in order to expand their leadership skills and promote democratic principles in their home countries.
The program will last from June 26 to August 7, 2012 and will consist of two components. The first component is a five-week academic residency that includes comparative analysis of leadership styles, conflict resolution and group dynamics, the role of civil society in the democratic process, and change management. The second component is a one-week educational study tour designed to complement and reinforce the concepts explored in the academic residency.
Students will also participate in an alumni conference held in the Middle East or North Africa in early 2013. The costs of the program and the alumni conference, including travel expenses for the alumni selected to participate, will be fully covered.
- Are age 18-24 as of June 1, 2012;
- Demonstrate English language ability;
- Are committed to returning to Lebanon following completion of the program;
- Demonstrate strong leadership potential;
- Indicate serious interest in learning about the United State;
- Have a sustained level of academic achievement;
- Demonstrate a commitment to civic engagement;
- Have no prior travel experience to the United States, and limited or no study or travel experience outside Lebanon;
- Are willing and able to participate fully in the program;
- Are comfortable with campus life, sharing living accommodations while traveling with a multinational group, and adjusting to cultural and social practices different from Lebanon; and
- Comfortable with spending a portion of Ramadan in the U.S.
Participant must be a Lebanese citizen or long-term Palestinian resident, living in Lebanon, and attending school in Lebanon.
Applications are due to the U.S. Embassy by February 13, 2012 – late submissions will not be considered
Applications can be hand-delivered to the U.S. Embassy in Awkar or submitted electronically to BeirutPD@state.gov
If you decide to submit the application electronically, please fill out the application form, sign it, scan it and send it to the above mentioned e-mail address.