One of my actions to help the great demonstration organized by Nasawiya and that took place Saturday morning (14 of january 2012) in Beirut streets, was to prepare a press coverage, assembling the weekend press articles in arabic and english that were written and published to cover the beautiful event.
Lebanese men and Women took to the streets in a great peaceful collective action (as the ones I detailed in my book : The Lebanese spring 2005);
Using their voices, lebanese traditional chants, banners, masks, Lebanese demonstrators said “no to a state that covers the criminals and rapists”.
In a non violent way the hundreds of protesters walked under the rain to ask the representatives, the Member of Parliament to endorse the project law presented by the civil society organisation without changing it and changing its core dispositions against marital rape;
I will post tomorrow the live videos taken during the event; in arabic, french and english walking in the streets with water in their foots and rain, and a sunny terminal at Riad El Solh square, Lebanese activists and demonstrators showed again that an awaken civil society still exists and is watching firmly the work of the Parliamentarian committees!
To read and print and use the press coverage here is the document:
Previous posts about this subject:
- Dear MPs…. Marital rape is happening, Lebanon needs a law against it
- Why you should take a stand against sexual violence a graphic with explanation by Abir and Paola
- Viol violence domestique et conjugale tout est permis si la loi n’est pas votee
Guide to Fight Sexual Harassment
- Domestic and Family violence In Lebanon
- Viol Legitime Viol Conjugal
- A protest in Lebanon against Gender Violence and for the ratification of the law by the parliament
- Photos of the last protest for the endorsment of the law for the protection from family violence
- Violence against women: Beirut by bike …Campaign against Domestic violence
- Non a la violence contre les femmes oui a une societe Juste et equitable
- Domestic workers in Lebanon
- Yes Maadm… ma sirkankaise est Philipino
- Lebanon: civil society mobilised for equal rights Rita Chemaly
- Laicite au Liban mon reve
- CEDAW implementation in a confessional Lebanon
- Criminalisation of rape is a Must in Lebanon… join the protest on Saturday 14
- Do not forget to follow the #fightrape hashtag on twitter and recap the story line;