Title of the contractor: Field Officer-NBC/BC
Duty Station: Tripoli
Reports to: Project Manager
Job level: SC 8
MDGF – Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding in North Lebanon
Tuesday, 17 May 2011
The “Conflict Prevention and Peace Building” programme for North Lebanon is a joint initiative bringing together 6 UN agencies (UNRWA; UNDP; ILO; UNICEF; UNFPA; and UNESCO) in an effort to mitigate the risks of relapse of potential conflict, and to address underlying sources of tensions in the region. In particular, the objectives of the project, which is funded by the Global MDG Fund, include:
• Conflict resolution and mediation mechanisms developed and sustained in order to facilitate the resolution of inter- and intra-communal tensions between Palestinians and Lebanese.
• Conflict risk in North Lebanon communities reduced through the design and implementation of inclusive socio-economic initiatives
The targeted areas of intervention include: i) Selected Palestinian refugee camps and their surrounding Lebanese population (starting with Nahr el Bared and Beddawi); ii) Marginalized communities in the Akkar area; and iii) the neighborhoods of Jabal Mohsen and Bab Tabbaneh in Tripoli.
In the context of the Joint Programme, UNDP will establish and empower two forums in support of community-based conflict resolution and social service delivery initiatives in Beddawi camp (BC) and surrounding Lebanese municipality and Nahr el Bared camp (NBC) and surrounding Lebanese municipalities. These forums will identify, plan and implement joint initiatives which aim to strengthen mechanisms of interaction between Lebanese and Palestinian communities in the targeted areas.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Field Officer NBC/BC will support the establishment/strengthening of such forums in the targeted area, in order to facilitate the resolution of inter communal tensions between Palestinian and Lebanese.
• Support the finalization of ongoing mapping and other baselines on the interaction mechanisms between NBC/BC and surrounding Lebanese municipalities;
• Identify specific entry points to strengthen existing frameworks of interaction between Lebanese and Palestinians in the targeted areas, and support the creation of joint forums;,
• Support the identification of joint initiatives between NBC/BC and surrounding areas, as prioritized by Lebanese and Palestinian concerned parties through a consultative process .
• Oversee the implementation of the joint initiatives, within the framework of the above project, and taking into consideration UNDP’s mandate;
• Monitor the daily implementation of ongoing activities;
• Develop and maintain close linkages with local authorities, Popular Committees, community groups, Lebanese and Palestinian civil society organizations, and other stakeholders engaged in the processes;
• Provide technical and process assistance to local stakeholders on issues pertaining to inter communal tensions between the NBC/BC Palestinian and surrounding Lebanese communities;
• Support the empowerment of the created forums in order to ensure sustainability of interventions;
• Work closely with the other UN agencies involved in this process, to strengthen synergies and complementary approaches.
• Carry out reporting and other tasks as deemed necessary by the Project Manager and/or the Crisis Prevention and Recovery Programme.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
• Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN System
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
• Shares knowledge and experience
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
• Makes valuable practice contributions
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported
• Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems
• Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
• Knowledge of UN rules and procedures
Leadership and Self-Management
• Responds positively to feedback
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
• Embraces extra responsibility
• Contributes to team morale and consensus
• Excellent communication skills: writes and speaks clearly and convincingly
• Have good presentation skills
• Substantive and interpersonal networking capacity
• Have strong negotiation skills
V. Recruitment Qualifications
Education: A University degree in Sociology, political science, international affairs, conflict prevention, development or any other related field.
Experience: A bachelor degree and minimum of 5 years of relevant experience or a Masters degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience in creating dialogue forums or other peace building activities.
Good knowledge of the NBC/BC Palestinian refugee camps and the Lebanese surrounding area.
Proven knowledge of Lebanese/Palestinian issues in general and in North Lebanon specifically.
Excellent analytical, communication and negotiation skills.
Language Requirements: Arabic and English mandatory, French is an asset.
to apply dears do not hesitate to check the website: