Job Vacancy – Country Representative Lebanon
Diakonia is a Swedish non-governmental development organisation, created more than 40 years ago by five Christian denominations. Diakonia works in partnership with over 400 civil-society organisations in 34 countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America. Together with our partners we work with a long-term and rights-based perspective within the following thematic areas: democracy, human rights, social and economic justice, gender equality, and peace and reconciliation. Diakonia’s vision is for each and every human being to live a dignified existence in a just and sustainable world, free from poverty. Our mission is to change unfair political, economic and social structures that generate poverty, oppression and violence.
Our Regional Office for the Middle East is situated in Jerusalem; we work in Palestine, Egypt, Lebanon and Iraq.
Position: Country Representative Lebanon
Period: Permanent Employment (with 3 months probation period)
Work Percentage: 100%
Deadline for applications: 7 April 2001
Diakonia is seeking to appoint a Country Representative for its Lebanon Office.
Responsible to: Regional Manager
1. To be Diakonia’s official representative in Lebanon
2. To develop, manage and implement Diakonia’s Country Programme in Lebanon on the basis of Diakonia’s established guidelines, policy, strategy planning, budget and other steering documents
a. To develop and implement strategic plans for the programmes in Lebanon in accordance with Diakonia’s priorities and national development priorities.
b. To seek/solicit new funding opportunities and draft applications to donors.
c. To sign on behalf of Diakonia partners’ contracts, and consultancy contracts and monitor compliance of signed agreements.
d. To lead and guide the Lebanon country programme; identify potential partners, oversee their programmatic development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and when decided phase out projects. Develop and maintain strong relations with the partners. Ensure effective advocacy, communication and networking through partnerships and collaboration.
e. To ensure high quality of programmes, i.e. that a rights-based and results-based management approach is fully incorporated into all phases of programme management, that evaluations are effectively conducted and the results are discussed and used to improve programme performance and that commitment and institutional and thematic capacities partners are effectively gained and promoted.
f. To follow up and approve payments to partners and projects after approval of narrative and financial reports, audits, applications, annual plans and assessments etc., in accordance with Diakonia’s Project management manual
3. To be the employer’s representative with personnel and managerial responsibility, and working environment responsibility for personnel at Diakonia’s Country Office.
a. To lead and run a country office in Beirut with locally recruited staff.
4. To elaborate and follow-up the office budget.
5. To provide Diakonia’s Head Office and Regional Office with updated and relevant information about the situation in the region and among partners to be used for various needs.
6. To participate in various regional working groups and coordinate or lead delegated joint processes in different areas such as strategic/programming, thematic/methodological and financial/administrative coordination, development and reporting.
7. To support the mainstreaming of gender in the organization and contribute to a more equal society through gender conscious behavior, role modeling, and openness towards capacity building.
8. To assist the Regional Office in other tasks when delegated from the Regional Manager.
· University Degree in Business Administration, Development Studies or Socio Economic Studies
· 8 years of relevant working experience from development work, preferably with an INGO
· Managerial experience.
· Project Management and analysis, Rights Based Approach, LFA, thorough knowledge of Monitoring, Evaluation and Networking skills
· Substantial understanding of the role of civil society in development in the Middle East.
· Leadership and decision making skills
· Analytical and critical thinking
· Conflict resolution and crisis management
· Verbal and written communication skills in English and Arabic
· Computer competence
· Ability to travel frequently
Cover letter and curriculum vitae, including references should be submitted by email to Diakonia by 7 April 2011 at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Diakonia is an equal employment opportunity organization.