Save the Children – Sweden Program Officer
JOB DESCRIPTION :Background:
Conflict in Iraq has caused the displacement of an estimated 4 million people inside and outside the country. Iraqi refugee influx in middle eastern countries has overloaded already politically and/or financially unstable countries overburdening their fragile capacity to provide preventive/response protection to children in the country. As a result, children at risk or survivors of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation have been exposed to increased risks and lack of protection. This applies not only to the refugee children but to the children of the host communities. The present operation addresses the needs of iraqi refugee children living in Lebanon, Jordan and other countries in the region.
The overall purpose of the project is to strengthen the Child Protection System for Iraqi refugee children in the MENA Region where UNHCR has a presence, for the benefit and wellbeing also of all other children under the mandate of UNHCR and of the National Governments, building upon the already existing national and community based Child Protection Systems and strengthening the cooperation between national authorities, UNHCR and refugee communities.
Through the project, the Iraqi refugee children will have access to prevention and response services protecting them from forms of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation.
The Program Officer will Implement CP focused activities, ensure mainstreaming of the CP focus and CPS approach in daily activities, as well as build capacities of actors involved in the project through class-room lessons and on job mentoring/coaching. The Program Officer will be closely working with UNHCR’s Protection and Community Services Focal points in country.
• Overall responsibility of project management and finance, keeping track of progress and ensuring that the project is on time and on budget, maintaining records of expenditure, accounting, costing and billing.
• Accountable for the achievement of project’s objectives
• Develop monitoring plans and regularly carry out monitoring field visits in each country of operation
• Line manage Child Protection Officers seconded to UNHCR offices in Lebanon and Jordan and, Community Based Officer in Jordan
• Develop materials and implement trainings for the CPOs on Best Interest Determination, Case Management, Foster Care, International law and other topics relevant to the project and the needs of each country operation
• Mentor/coach CPOs in the field
• Primarily responsible for the drafting of protocols for Case Management in referrals and Foster Care Mechanism, ToR of the Juvenile Justice Monitoring Group, revision of the AGDM tool ensuring a child participation and protection focus
• Participate in the development of the Child Protection System Standard Operation Procedures
• Organize, chair and document project launch, best practices and cross regional learning workshops
• Ensure regular communication between SC and UNHCR
• Report to the EC
• Report to senior management team
• Organize and lead meetings with project’s staff and sounding board
any relevant field,Social Science,
Others :• Minimum 3 years experience in project coordination and field work To see Full ToR, go to http://mena.savethechildren.se/Middle_East_and_North_Africa/Contact-Us/Vacancies/
CONTRACT DESCRIPTION :Period:Starting date: 1. February 2011 Duration: 2 years, local contractContract:Qualified individuals are kindly requested to send their CV with cover letter to Save the Children Sweden only via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly marked with Lebanon Program Officer in the subject line. Applications are accepted no later than the set deadline above. Kindly do not send supporting certificates and documents at this stage. Please note that salary requests will not be discussed prior to interviews. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Short-listed candidates only will be contacted for interviews. For more information about Save the Children Sweden, visit http://mena.savethechildren.se or http://www.rb.se
© Rita Chemaly. www.ritachemaly.wordpress.com